The Collectorate plays a pivotal role in the District administration. Collector in the Cadre of I.A.S heads the District. He acts as the District Magistrate for maintaining Law and Order in his jurisdiction. He deals mainly with planning and development, law and order, scheduled areas/agency areas, general elections, arms licensing etc.
The Additional Collector who belongs to the B.A.S Cadre runs the Revenue administration under various enactments in the District. He is also designated as Additional District Magistrate. He mainly deals with civil supplies, land matters, mines and minerals, village officers etc.
The Deputy Develoment Commisioner, looks after various developmental activities pertaining to various departments.The Major departments looked after by DDC are District rural devlopment agency,Social Welfare Department, BC Welfare, BC Corporation, Disable Welfare, Housing and Other Departments.
The Deputy Collectors assists the Collector and ADM in discharging their duties. The Deputy Collectors looks after all the branches of the Collectorate. He deals mainly with general administration and is vested with supervision of day-to-day functions of the Collectorate.
The Collectorate is divided into 8 sections as per the administrative reforms taken up by the Government of Bihar. An alphabet letter is given to each section for easy reference.
- Section A :: Deals with Establishment and Office Procedures
- Section B :: Deals with Accounts and audit
- Section C :: Deals with Magisterial (Court/Legal) matters
- Section D :: Deals with Land Revenue and relief
- Section F :: Deals with Land Reforms
- Section G :: Deals with Land Acquisition
- Section H :: Deals with Protocol, Elections and other work.